10 July 2014

Knit summer pants




I became obsessed with the idea of a pair of wide leg pants in a crazy fabric, which is not something I have ever worn. I have now satisfied that obsession.

Semi-fitted over stomach, hips, loose to hem. Closure by invisible zipper at side. I wanted a shaped yoke, rather than elastic or a band to avoid cinching over my hips. I wanted the legs to be wide, without excess fabric on inside leg. The outseam falls straight to the hem. The inseam angles toward the knee, then falls straight.

One issue with the faced yoke design and side zipper is that it is not easy to take in. I went ahead with those features anyway, with the logic that if I changed to a design that would be easy to take in, the need would never arise. My logic proved true, but in reverse, as a month or so later, I and need to take them in. On a related note, a few days after I finished them, I read info that made me think I should have used stay tape as well as the interfacing on the yoke (I used a cotton lawn) because the interfacing alone would not provide enough stability to keep them up. To top things off, the zipper got stuck the last time I tried to take them off. So I have three reasons to redo the yoke and zip.

The fabric is very lightweight. I wasn't sure it was suitable and considered underlining. I chose not to underline to keep them light and cool. I will have to wait and see whether the pants are durable.

I need to redraft the waist line of the yoke. The shape is a little odd at the back, in particular.

I am super happy with these pants!


So far, I have only worn them to the supermarket and felt extremely self-conscious. But I do love them, so will try to work up the courage to wear them more!

No comments: