22 July 2014

Skirt




Slightly flared skirt with arched yoke. No closure.

Shaped yoke intended for fit and design. The front turned out just I envisioned, but the back was a compromise. My first draft got the fit right, but didn't look good because it was too low. The back yoke slightly cuts into my butt rather than skimming over. I didn't notice it until I finished the final skirt. Once I'd seen it, I could tell on the toile as well.

There is no zipper. I originally intended use an invisible zipper at the CB, but realized I could fit it on over my head (forgot to leave a side seam open on a toile). I should have just put the zipper, because pulling it on immediately introduces creases.

Overall, it is not particularly flattering.
 

Despite lots of sampling, I had plenty of sewing woes that had nothing to do with the pattern. Inexperience was probably the main problem. My flat-felled side seams were a disaster. I ripped out my first attempt as the folded over part escaped in many sections. I lost my nerve when I redid it and decided on "decorative" zigzag stitch. The seam then ended up wavy. The waves disappeared with steam pressing, but I worried they would reappear when the skirt was worn. Luckily, after I wore the skirt for a day, the waves did not reappear.


Big effort, average result.

No comments: