17 January 2016

Catch-up post

I didn't sew much in 2015! I did only one real creative project, and it's not shown here because it has returned to "unfinished" status as I decided it needed some changes. For the sake of completeness, here is what I did make! Photos my be poor quality because they were not taken for sharing purposes and/or I dislike the garment...
Silver long pants: 100% nylon knit
Grey shorts: 92% cotton, 8% lycra

The pants and shorts above were made in April 2015. I must have decided I'd prefer the elastic waists to sit lower.

But seemingly got distracted while making the adjustment as the waist on the next pair (May) ended up way too low (particularly at the back). Did some piecing to get it a little higher. I don't actually mind the result. However, the fabric pilled immediately upon wearing. Unfortunately, I have some more of it in another colour as well.



Grey long pants: rayon/poly/lycra ponte
Ponte pants piecing


I made the black top below in July to go with the skirt that awaits reform. It is made from a previous t-shirt pattern, with a change to the neckline and lengthened a bit. The fabric is lightweight. I'll need to update the type later as I can't find my notes right now, but I suspect it's rayon. I think this top will get a lot of wear in cool weather as a very comfortable layer under a jacket. The elastic in the neckline seemed to be too heavy and slightly too long. Instead of redoing it, I threaded through some jeans thread and knotted it at just the right length to stop the hem flopping (no need for stretch to get my head through).
Rayon top
Rayon twill challis skirt

The maroon skirt was an emergency make in December. It is a very simple two piece skirt. I made this by draping rather than making a pattern. I combined the elastic waistband with some darts at the back to eliminate as much excess fabric as possible. The fabric is a quite lovely lightweight rayon twill challis that really deserved better.











 Pajamas. Unknown jersey, probably mostly cotton. Stripes printed off-grain. Twists, but still a lovely, cozy pajama.

No comments: